The EMU nursing department offers an accelerated second degree program. Persons with a bachelor's degree in a field other than nursing are invited to apply. This accelerated 15 month program will begin early May each year and run through August of the following year. The first and final semesters will be condensed into approximately 10-12 week semesters during the summer months.
The second and third semesters will follow a traditional fall/spring semester format. Students in this program may find it difficult to hold employment and may be expected to complete 12-hour and/or weekend clinical rotations. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis from August through January 15.
- A baccalaureate degree
- If a baccalaureate degree is not complete at the time of application, the degree must be conferred by the second Sunday of May in the year the student wishes to begin the accelerated program. Such applicants must submit two letters of academic reference - one from an academic advisor and one from a professor - indicating readiness for an accelerated program and readiness to graduate on or before the second Sunday in May.
- Six of the eight prerequisite courses must be completed by time of application
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 for all prerequisites
- Anatomy/Physiology I and II
- One chemistry course (general, inorganic, organic, or biochemistry)
- One psychology course (developmental preferred, general or abnormal accepted)
- One sociology course
- One statistics course