Be part of our community of online learners! Recent graduates praise the values-based program that provided a supportive network for their professional exploration and development.
What is unique about EMU’s Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program?
- Students develop leadership skills while being mindful of what is just, culturally competent, respectful and sacred.
- Course assignments are structured for direct application in the student's professional work setting.
- An interprofessional focus means you’ll study business, education, conflict transformation, and nursing.
- Our sacred covenant framework of nursing is based on faith and values, high professional standards, and bringing people to wholeness and healing.
- Small class sizes enhance community-building.
- Our program is primarily online distance learning with some synchronous classes.
- Many of EMU’s expert nursing faculty have extensive cross-cultural experience.
- Earn up to 400 faculty supervised practicum hours that can be applied towards a future DNP degree.
Leadership and Management Concentration
Nursing is rapidly evolving as a profession along with health care in general. Graduates of a master of science in nursing leadership and management program can find jobs in the following areas:
- Unit managers in hospitals
- Supervisors or directors in public health, long-term care, or other agencies
- Specific roles in institutions, such as safety, infection control, case management, or patient education
- College-level teaching in nursing at an associate or baccalaureate level. If at the baccalaureate level, you will need to consider a PhD or DNP in the future.
Leadership and School Nurse Concentration
The program is consistent with current Pennsylvania state and national school nurse standards and guidelines. It focuses on health care management for school-aged children and is designed to prepare registered nurses to meet the health needs of children of all ages in diverse school settings. Graduates of this program meet the requirements for a Pennsylvania certificate as a Level I Educational Specialist-School Nurse. However, school nurses from states other than Pennsylvania will find the program beneficial as well.
- School and camp settings
- Supervisors or directors in public health, or other agencies
- College level teaching in nursing at an associate or baccalaureate level. If at the baccalaureate level, you will need to consider a PhD or DNP in the future.
School Nurse Certification Program
EMU Nursing offers a School Nurse Certification Program (SNCP) approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. The purpose of the School Nurse Certification Program is to prepare registered nurses to meet the health needs of children of all ages in diverse school settings. This postbaccalaureate program consists of 12 credits of coursework, including a practicum, leading to a certificate as a in Pennsylvania.
Courses are offered online. This certification program can be taken as part of the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) with MSN with the leadership and school nurse concentration or independent of the MSN. For students wishing to pursue an MSN, the certification program provides an easy transition into the MSN Leadership and School Nurse concentration. Since courses are offered online and in a blended format this program can be accessible to all nurses from any state.