- Complete the Graduate Counseling Programs online application, which will ask for
- letters of reference. Please supply the names and information of at least three references on the online application. At least two must be academic references. The Graduate Counseling Program will contact the references directly.
- a non-refundable application fee of $50.00.
- Arrange for official transcripts to be mailed to Graduate Counseling Programs, 1200 Park Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22802 or sent electronically directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Foreign Degree Translation: If you have a degree from a college or university outside of the United States, you must have your coursework evaluated by a professional association. The evaluation must be a detailed report that includes course designations (lower and upper division). This detailed report should meet most transcript requirements for employment purposes. Here is a list of transcript/translation evaluation services. Please note that there is a fee for the evaluation service, and this list is for your information only.
- Submit a Statement of Purpose by writing a 1-3 page narrative that describes your (a) academic/research interest and professional goals, (b) volunteer and professional experiences, (c) life experiences that have influenced your desire to become a counselor, and (d) view of compassionate service and social justice.
- Indicate nationality and country of birth: International applicants currently residing in the United States must indicate status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. In addition, international applicants must submit a completed International Student Sponsor Agreement if accepted to the MA in Counseling program.
- For applicants whose native language is not English: We require that applicants receive at least a 79 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). This score is comparable to a 550 on the paper-based test and a score of 213 for the computer-based test. EMU’s institutional code is 5181. Applicants who have studied and received a degree from a college or university where all instruction is in English are not required to submit TOEFL scores.
Application due: March 1st
Notification of interview: TBA
Interview day: TBA
2-Year vs. 3-Year Track
EMU offers a graduate counseling program of MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC). Students are recommended to complete this degree following a 3-year curriculum track, however an intensive 2-year curriculum track is available. Students interested in the intensive 2-year track must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.5 and will submit a supplementary letter of intent specifying why the intensive 2-year track is the best fit for them. The supplementary letter of intent may highlight previous academic success, professional experience, personal development experiences, and additional information the applicant believes to be relevant.