For a Dual Degree MDiv/MACT (total of 103 SH): In light of the Association of Theological Studies policy on “shared credit in degree programs,” we are allowing up to 11 SH to be reduced from the current MDiv requirements and the MA in Conflict Transformation is allowing up to 12 SH to be reduced from the MACT for a dual degree. This is a reduction of 23 SH from the current combined degrees. A student would be free to take additional electives in either program. Each program currently specifies the core required courses for their respective degree programs (noted in the current catalogs).
MDiv: a total of 70 SH required (53 SH of the MDiv core curriculum and 17 of Ministry Track electives).
For the MDiv several integrative courses are included as designated electives.
Seminary Core Curriculum (43 credits)
- FS 501/502 Formation in God’s Story I and II (6 SH)
- BVOT 511 Old Testament: Text in Context (3 SH)
- BVNT 512 New Testament: Text in Context (3 SH)
- CTH 501/512 Christian Tradition I and II (6 SH)
- FS 701/702 Formation in Missional Leadership I & 11 (4 SH)
- CTT 634 Living Theology (3 SH)
- CM 643 Missio Dei in Cultural Context (3 SH)
- CTE 702 Christian Ethics (3 SH)
- 12 hours of Biblical studies (12 SH)
For the MDiv, several integrative courses as designated electives (8-9 SH).
- CM 631 Churches and Social Transformation
- (3 SH)
- CTE 640 Topics in Ethics (3 SH)
- Anabaptist Studies course or CM 671 United Methodist History
To fulfill 3 SH of MDiv biblical studies requirements, one of these two courses:
- BVG 541 Biblical Foundations for Justice and Peacemaking
- CTE 713 Sermon on the Mount: Peace, Justice and the Reign of God
MACT: 27 SH from core and concentration requirements and 6 SH of CJP electives (chosen in consultation with academic advisor) for a total of 33 SH Learn more about the master of arts in conflict transformation at EMU.
- (2-3 SH)
Additional MDIV electives (18 SH), including
- at least one SMCL course and one CM course.
- PAX 534 and PAX 634 Foundations for Peacebuilding 1 and 2 (12 SH)
- PAX 535 Research Methods for Social Change (3 SH)
- PAX 682 Practicum (6-9 SH)
- Skills assessment courses
- - choose at least one
- PAX 601 Mediation &
- Negotiation (3 SH)
- PAX 676 Restorative Justice Practices (3 SH)
- PAX 610 Facilitation: Process Design & Skills for Dialogue, Deliberation & Decision-
- making (3 SH)
A unique strength of Eastern Mennonite Seminary is our formation program. We believe that focusing on one’s own formation during the seminary journey is the way for ministering persons to be healthy and whole in their vocations. FS 501/502 Formation in God’s Story I & II (2 credits each) helps students understand their own lives in conversation with and connection to God’s story as found in Scripture and being written in the present in their own lives through spiritual practices. FS 601/602 Formation in Ministry I & II (3 credits each) offers students the opportunity to put their learning into practice in internship sites related to their vocational leanings with a mentor to help with on-site theological reflection. FS 701/702 Formation in Missional Leadership I & II (2 credits each) provides space for students to integrate what they have learned about themselves, God, the world, and the church as they look forward to their future in ministry. For more information please visit the formation page.