The Master of Science in Nursing courses are delivered online with the exception of two residency requirements for orientation to the program (1.5 days), as well as during NURS 503 Conflict course (3 days).
The Master of Business Administration courses can only be taken through the hybrid/residency MBA program offered at the Harrisonburg campus, which is delivered face-to-face one evening every other week alternating with synchronous online sessions in the other weeks.
The ability to partner with the collaborative MBA program in order to exclusively fulfill MBA courses online will be evaluated on a selective basis.
- Students must be accepted to both the MSN and MBA programs.
- MSN requirement: a 3.0 GPA in undergraduate nursing courses plus 2 acceptable references
- MBA requirement: students have at least two years working experience and achieved satisfactory performance on the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
- Students without a background in business may take a prerequisite course (all offered by EMU) including coursework in accounting, finance, and economics.
Semester Hours: Total of 56 SH (reduction of 17 SH in the dual degree)
Shared Courses Between the MBA Health Care Track and the MSN (9 SH)
- NURS 515 Health Care Delivery System (3 SH)
- NURS 516 Application of Legal & Ethical Principles to Health Care (3 SH)
- NURS 626 Managing in a Complex Environment (3 SH)
MSN Requirements (23 SH)
- NURS 501 Introduction, Sacred Covenant Conceptual Framework (1 SH)
- NURS 503 Practice Skills for Conflict Transformation (3 SH)
- NURS 510 Historical, Philosophical and Theoretical Foundations of Nursing (3 SH)
- NURS 511 Translational Scholarship for Evidence-Based Practice (3 SH)
- NURS 512 Knowledge Development: Epidemiology and Infomatics (3 SH)
- NURS 620 Safety, Risk Reduction, and Quality Care (4 SH)
- NURS 629 Instructional Methodologies Nurse Leaders (2 SH)
- NURS 630 Leadership Project (4 SH) (with the addition of an MBA faculty advising the project to ensure the presence of sustainability content)
MBA Requirements (24 SH)
OLS 510 Leadership & Management for the Common Good (3 SH)
OLS 515 Introduction to Leadership Studies (3 SH)
OLS 530 Organizational Behavior (3 SH)
OLS 540 Managerial Finance and Accounting I (3 SH)
- MBA 625 Strategic Marketing Management (3 SH)
- MBA 629 Data Analytics (3 SH)
MBA 640 Managerial Finance and Accounting II (3 SH)
- MBA 560 Stewardship, Innovation, and Social Entrepreneurship (3 SH)