The MSN courses are delivered online with the exception of 2 residency requirements for orientation to the program (1.5 days), as well as during NURS 503 Conflict course (3 days).
The MBA courses can only be taken through the hybrid/residency MBA program offered at the Harrisonburg campus, which is delivered face-to-face one evening every other week alternating with synchronous online sessions in the other weeks.
The ability to partner with the collaborative MBA program in order to fulfill MBA courses fully online will be evaluated on a selective basis.
- Students must be accepted to both the MSN and MBA programs
- MSN requirement: a 3.0 GPA in undergraduate nursing courses plus 2 acceptable references
- MBA requirement: students have at least two years working experience and achieved satisfactory performance on the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
- Students without a background in business may take a prerequisite course (all offered by EMU) including coursework in accounting, finance, and economics.
Total of 56 SH (reduction of 17 SH in the dual degree)
Shared Courses Between the MBA Health Care Track & the MSN – 9 SH
- NURS 515 – Health Care Delivery System
- NURS 516 – Application of Legal & Ethical Principles to Health Care Leadership
- NURS 626 – Managing in a Complex Health Care Environment
MSN Requirements – 23 SH
- NURS 501 – Introduction to Sacred Covenant Conceptual Framework
- NURS 510 – Historical, Philosophical, and Theoretical Framework
- NURS 512 – Epidemiology & Informatics
- NURS 503 – Practice Skills for Conflict Transformation
- NURS 511 – Translational Scholarship for Evidence-Based Practice
- NURS 629 – Instructional Methodologies for Nurse Leaders
- NURS 620 – Safety, Risk Reduction, and Quality Care
- NURS 630 – Nursing Capstone (with the addition of an MBA faculty advising the project to ensure the presence of sustainability content)
MBA Requirements – 24 SH
- OLS 510 – Leadership & Management for the Common Good
- OLS 515 – Introduction to Leadership Studies
- OLS 530 – Organizational Behavior (NOTE – NURS 628 Org Behavior may be substituted if schedule requires)
- OLS 540 – Managerial Finance and Accounting I
- MBA 640 – Managerial Finance and Accounting II
- OLS 610 – Strategic Marketing Management
- MBA 630 – Managerial Economics
- MBA 560 – Stewardship, Innovation, and Social Entrepreneurship (or elective)