1. All faculty who retire from Eastern Mennonite University and who have served for at least ten years at EMU prior to their retirement, may be awarded Emeritus recognition. Full professors may be awarded the title of Professor Emeritus. Faculty with Instructor, Assistant Professor or Associate Professor rank may be granted Faculty Emeritus status.
2. Nominations for faculty emeritus titles may be initiated by a program director or academic dean. Nominations will be considered by Provost’s Council and forwarded with their recommendation to Faculty Status Committee for a vote.
3. Upon approval by Faculty Status Committee, the Provost shall bring recommendations for emeritus status to the Board of Trustees for official action.
4. The presentation of a plaque with an appropriate inscription shall be made to the faculty member in a ceremony recognizing the service of the individual to the institution.
5. Faculty Emeriti shall be listed in the catalog. They shall be provided office space if requested and as space is available. Email service and library access will remain available to them. Attendance at campus activities is welcomed. Attendance at faculty meetings and committee service will be at the discretion of their program director.
6. Professor Emeriti may occasionally teach courses on an as needed basis. If so, compensation will be at the senior professor rate.
Approved by the Board of Trustees, February 19, 1981
Updated for name change, February 1995
Revised draft submitted by Faculty Status Committee, October 1995
Approved by the Board of Trustees, November 1995
Revised by Academic Cabinet, October 6, 2010
Revised by Provost’s Council, February 24, 2016
Revised by Provost’s Council, September 5, 2019